Sunday, October 20, 2013

How To Remove/Delete Profile Picture on Skype

I have had problem with deleting my profile picture on Skype on Windows 7. I searched Skype Community and internet for hours, but failed to get any clear answers to the problem. So I decided to try to find solution to this problem on my own. After two hours of experiment, I have finally found a solution to this problem. Let's get to the point without wasting any time. Here are step by step guidelines on how to remove profile picture on Skype on Windows, Mac and Android.

Windows 7


First of all update your Skype and install the latest version of Skype on your Desktop/Macintosh/Cellphone. Now follow the steps below:


Method A:

1. Start Skype and sign in

2. Click at "Skype>Profile>Change Your Picture"
3. A new window will appear with title "Set Your Profile Picture"
4. Click at "Browse" in the lower left corner
5. You will see your profile picture under "AppData>Roaming>Skype>Pictures"
6. Select your profile picture/pictures you want to delete and delete it/them
7. Quit Skype and restart your computer/laptop.

Method B:


1. Quit Skype and make sure Skype is not running.

2. Go to C:\Users\[your account]\AppData\Roaming\Skype\Pictures (Note: Insert your computer name/username in place of [your account])
3. Select picture/pictures you want to delete and delete it/them from the destination folder i.e. "Skype\Pictures"
4. Restart your computer/laptop.

Android

1. Sign in to Skype on your Android device
2. Tap your picture in upper right corner
3. Tap your profile picture
4. Tap "Clear profile picture"
5. Sign out of Skype app and close it.
6. Start Skype.

Mac/Apple

1. Quit Skype make sure Skype is not running.
2. Go to Users/[your account]/Library/Images/iChat Recent Pictures. 
To find the respective folder:
a.) Open Finder and select Go > Go To Folder…
b.) In the dialog box, type ~/Library and click Go
3. In the iChat Recent Pictures folder, select the pictures you would like to delete by clicking on them and pressing the Apple key at the same time, then drag and drop them to the trash
4. If you wish to refresh all contacts’ avatars, go to Users/[your account]/Library/Application Support/Skype/AvatarCache/. To do this, in the main menu, click Go > Home. In the right pane, navigate to: Library > Application Support > Skype > AvatarCache
5. In the AvatarCache folder, select all the content by pressing the Apple and A keys at the same time, then drag and drop them to the trash
6. Start Skype

If you use Skype on more than one operating system then you must delete your profile pictures from all operating systems you use by following the steps mentioned above. 

Once you delete your profile pictures from all operating systems, you will no longer see your profile picture anywhere on Skype whether its Windows or Android or Mac or Skype.com (Skype servers).

Note: If you see your profile pic after following all the steps above then just search for "White Image" in Google and use any of white images as your profile pic.  This white image will replace your current profile pic.

If you still face any problem with deleting/removing your profile picture on Skype, please feel free to let me know in comments below and I will try my best to find a solution to your problem. Thank you.

16 comments:

  1. Hey Raj, I've had all sorts of grief with this! My main concern is that Outlook picked up the same profile picture from Skype and used it on my emails. NOT HAPPY! Unfortunately I need Skype for business. I deleted my account and have tried to reinstall but it has now locked onto email address and reverts to old account. What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allen, I am sorry for the delayed response. Could you tell me what account you deleted, what you reinstalled and what has locked your email address? Whether its Skype or Outlook? Please provide more details and I will see what I can do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, this was very useful and help me solve my Skype problem on Natty. Cheers.

    Skype Technical Help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I still can't delete it because it wasn't a saved photo - the webcam just randomly took the photo and it's not saved anywhere. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't log in from windows because of disk i/o error. https://login.skype.com/login logging from here is possible. I changed my details and everything and want to totally abandon the account. But I can't remove my picture from the site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neither of the Windows methods worked for me, the picture always remained, even though I couldn't find it stored locally in the folders you mention. I suppose it's stored online and pulled every time you log in.
    In the Android app it worked fine though. In my opinion, this is just Microsoft forgetting to put the same button in the desktop clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure, You logged out from all other devices like, mobile, Pcs, Other devices and Browsers. Then try it

      Delete
  7. None of the suggestions worked for me so I just took a picture of a blank wall and used that. Simple and foolproof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't do it using any of the methods you mentioned either. I believe once you upload it, they save it on their server or whatever and there isn't any way to remove it other than to overwrite it by changing the picture. I googled "Skype" images and then saved the Skype logo to my desktop and changed my profile pic to the Skype logo. That's the best I could do. I would uninstall the damn program if I didn't need it for work occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made a couple of changes to the post. Hopefully, no one will have any issues now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    Thanks for the support to remove or delete a profile picture on Skype messenger unfortunately the above procedure did not resolve my issue and I am unable to locate a picture folder inside a Skype folder on my local system Kindly do the needful.

    Thanks,
    Praveen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it

    selfie apps

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I can't find iChat Recent Pictures folder in My MacBook Pro

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, we need to offer online assistance through your blog with the goal that the vast majority can get uphold and get

    ReplyDelete